Well, I managed to use up the left over lamb to make pasties, gosh what a treat and no real change to my blood glucose levels, hurrah!. Recipe below is a bit vague as I wasn’t measuring ingredients but the filling is really using whatever you want or have available in terms of meat and veg.
Makes 4 very large pasties
400g Ultra Fine fibre flour
4 to 6 tbs cream cheese
Filling - this is what I used but any meat and veg of your choice will be fine plus any herbs or spices you like
Cold roast lamb cut into chunks about 300g I think
1 onion chopped
Third of small celeriac cut into cubes
6 button mushrooms
Garlic infused olive oil
tsp each of oregano and parsley
Splash of soy sauce
4 tablespoons leftover lamb gravy
Beaten egg and milk to glaze
1. Make pastry as usual mixing in the cream cheese after rubbing butter and flour together and before adding water.
2. Don’t over knead the pastry, literally pull it together with a little water and then chill in fridge.
3. Fry onions and celeriac in oil and butter until soft
4. Add everything else and cook for a few minutes then allow to cool
5. Divide pastry into four equal chunks and make each into a ball
6. Flatten out a ball of pastry and then roll out to about a dinner plate size. Doesn’t have to be a perfect circle
7. Place a quarter of filling on pastry, fold over and crimp edges to seal.
8. Brush with egg and milk mixture and bake at 180C gas mark 4 for 30 to 35 minutes.