Ok so chaffles are alright but I wanted something that didn't taste of egg/cheese/almonds/coconut flour.
Sometimes I find that UF fiberflour needs a little more substance to it when I'm baking but I'll be honest I'm not overly keen on the coarse texture of original fiberflour. I've got round this by whizzing up a batch of original fiberflour in my spice grinder to make it a much finer texture and storing it in a separate container. Then I simply sub it with some of the ultrafine as needed. You can of course skip doing this - it's just my personal preference.
Makes four 4"x4" waffles at around 140 calories and 4.5g carbs per waffle
1 egg, separated
75g ultrafine fiberflour (or 60g ultrafine plus 15g original fiberflour)
1/2 - 1 tbsp granulated or powdered sweetener, to taste
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
30g butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1. Using an electric whisk, beat the egg white until stiff peaks form then set aside.
2. In a separate bowl combine the fiberflour(s), sweetener, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Make a well in the middle and stir in the melted butter, milk, egg yolk and vanilla essence. Beat until mixed.
3. Using a metal spoon, gently fold in the egg white until thoroughly combined. Let the batter rest while you preheat your waffle iron to a medium temperature.
4. When up to temperature, spray waffle iron with a little oil and pour in waffle batter. Cook till done, around 5-7 mins or until steam stops coming from the waffle iron.
5. Serve warm. Can be reheated in the toaster (crispy) or microwave (soft). I topped mine with low carb ice cream and no added sugar chocolate spread.